There are various types of garage doors, but the most common are sectional doors, roller doors, and tilt doors.
Find out how you can install each type of garage door below.
Sectional doors are made up of several sections that fold up as the door opens. Here are the steps to install this type of door:
- Measure the door opening. You will need to know the width and height of the entrance to purchase the correct size door.
- Once you have the measurements, you can purchase the door from a home improvement store or online retailer. Or you can contact Eagles Garage for more information.
- Next, you will need to install the tracks for the door. The tracks should be at level and plumb. Use that to check that the tracks are levelled before attaching them to the wall. Once the tracks are level, use screws or nails to attach them to the studs in the wall.
- Install the sections of the door. The sections should fit snugly into the tracks. Make sure that they are flush with the edges of the tracks. Once those are in place, you can install the hardware to hold the door. This hardware includes brackets, hinges, and a roller.
- Finally, you will need to install a handle or knob outside the door. This will allow you to open and close the door. Ensure the handle or knob is easy to reach from inside the garage.
Roller doors roll up around a drum. Roller doors are an excellent option for any garage, providing security and convenience. Here is a quick guide on how to install roller doors in your garage:
- Measure the opening of your garage door and cut the door to size. Then, make enough room for the door to roll up and down without hitting obstacles.
- Install the brackets that will hold the roller door in place. These should be placed about six inches from the top and bottom of the door opening.
- Once the brackets are in place, insert the roller into the tracks on either side of the door opening. Be sure that the rollers are adequately aligned before moving on.
- Finally, install the spring-loaded bar that will help to support the door as it opens and closes.
Tilt doors swing open like a regular door. You can install them by following these steps:
- Check the doorframe to make sure it is level and plumb. If not, shim it until it is
- Cut two pieces of 2×4 lumber to fit snugly inside the door frame at the top and bottom. These will be used to support the weight of the doors.
- Place one of the 2x4s at the bottom of the doorframe and screw it. Repeat with the other 2×4 at the top of the frame.
- Measure the width of the door opening and cut two pieces of 2×6 lumber to that measurement plus 1 inch (for overlap). These will be used as the headers for your tilt doors.
- Place the headers at the top and bottom of the door opening, making sure to overlap the 2×4 supports. Screw them into place
- Cut two pieces of plywood to fit snugly inside the door opening. These will be used as panels for your doors.
- Place the plywood panels on top of the headers, making sure to overlap the 2×4 supports. Screw them into place.
- Paint or stain your doors as desired. Add handles or other hardware if desired.
- Close the doors and test them to ensure they open and close smoothly. Make any adjustments as needed.
Garage door installation can be daunting, but with the right tools and information, you can do the process yourself.