Owning a tree is such a hassle because maintaining it on your property can be inconvenient, but removing it also poses challenges. The process involves numerous tasks and requires tree stump grinding as well.
Our next plan is to trim the trees. However, if you have a tree in your yard that is too tall for the space, you may be uncertain about whether to trim it yourself or hire a professional. We can provide you with some guidance on how to trim a tall tree, while keeping it healthy and ensuring that your yard looks beautiful.
Never Try Topping Trees
Cutting off the top of a tree, also called topping, harms the tree’s health, and ruins its natural shape. Topping leads to a large wound in the tree, making it vulnerable to rot, pests, and diseases. Additionally, this practice causes unattractive growth and weak branches prone to breaking.
It is not recommended to top a tree as there are more effective methods for pruning and trimming it.
How to Prune a Tree That Is Too Tall
Although pruning is a better option than topping for reducing the height of a tree, it is still a difficult task that requires caution.
To reduce the size of a tall tree during pruning, cut off branches just above a lateral branch that is at least one-third the diameter of the branch being removed. Remember to make the cuts at a 45-degree angle, sloping away from the tree’s centre. This will prevent weak angles from forming and encourage outward growth.
Remember that reducing a tree’s height through pruning can be challenging, as it may continue to grow upward. However, you can slow down its growth by pruning it carefully and with some luck. This can help you keep your trees healthy and visually appealing while limiting their height.
Tree Trimming Steps
- Put the ladder beneath the tree, then attach the metal spikes to the legs and firmly insert them into the ground to prevent the ladder from slipping.
- First, climb up the ladder and attach your safety harness to a sturdy tree branch to ensure safety. Then, secure the harness to your waist.
- To trim your trees, use the pruning clippers and poles to remove damaged or overgrown branches. Make sure to watch out for falling branches and avoid letting them drop on anyone down below.
- Avoid cutting branches too high up or growing at sharp angles to trim tall trees.
Healthy Tree Pruning Practices for Your Trees
Following some basic tree pruning guidelines is important if you plan on pruning your trees yourself. Try these tips:
- To avoid damage to the trunk, please avoid making flush cuts which remove the branch collar where it connects to the tree. If you accidentally cut into the branch collar, it can be an invitation for bacteria to enter and cause harm before the wound heals.
- It is recommended to avoid pruning more than 25% of the live crown in a single session. This is because removing a large portion of a tree’s canopy all at once can harm its health and growth.
- To ensure proper pruning, avoid doing so in the summer when trees are actively growing and performing photosynthesis. Instead, it is recommended to prune during the dormant seasons of spring or winter.
Benefits of Calling a Professional
If you are unsure about trimming tall trees, it is best to seek help from a professional service. They will take the necessary steps to ensure both your safety and the health of the tree(s). Remember that cutting living branches without proper knowledge can harm a tree, while trimming dead branches could be dangerous if they fall on bystanders.
To protect trees from infestation by insects or disease, a professional tree trimmer should use trimming methods that remove only the necessary parts without creating any holes or cuts in the tree’s trunk.
Tall trees are wonderful organisms offering plenty of shade and a vast habitat for many animals. Trimming and pruning these trees occasionally, just like any other tree, is essential to ensure they remain healthy and prevent potential safety hazards.
It’s important to avoid the risk of injury and property damage if a limb on your tree dies or becomes too heavy. While hiring a professional tree-trimming company for extensive trimming is best, you can do small pruning tasks to maintain safety.
Professional arborists offer various tree care services designed to maintain the health and appearance of your trees over the long term. They use proven techniques to support networks of trees within communities, providing dependable results that can last for decades.