Nothing beats coming home to the house you grew up in. The familiar smells and the décor that’s remained unchanged for years evoke a certain sense of nostalgia. But as much as you love coming home to the same old house, your mom is probably dreaming of an update. If you’re looking for the perfect gift for Mother’s Day, her birthday, or just because, sprucing up the family home with a DIY home improvement project is a wonderful way to show your love.
Whether you’re an experienced DIYer with a hefty budget or a novice with just a few dollars to spare, these DIY improvements will make an impact.
A Kitchen Makeover
Mom’s home cooking is the best, but after years of whipping up meals for the family, the kitchen is showing its age. Here’s how you can boost its appeal:
- Countertops: If Mom’s counters are cracked or pocked with stains and burn marks, they’re past due for replacement. While you shouldn’t install heavy slabs of granite yourself, certain countertop materials lend themselves well to DIY installation. Consider solid surface, laminate, granite or ceramic tile, or wood countertops.
- Cabinets: Hanging new cabinets isn’t a DIY job, but you can give a new look to old cabinets through painting or staining. If the cabinets are constructed with high-quality wood, stripping and staining modernizes the kitchen without sacrificing the beauty of natural wood.
- Comfort: Chopping, dicing, and mashing grow less comfortable with age. Keep your mom active in the kitchen by replacing her utensils with ergonomic alternatives. Pair this gift with a chef subscription box for easy dinnertime inspiration.
- Countertops: No one likes cooking in a cramped kitchen. Give your mother the gift of added counter space by installing wall-mounted shelving and pegboard storage to hold small appliances, utensils, and other items that tend to live on the counters.
- Cabinets: Bring cabinets into the modern era by replacing knobs and pulls. Use a screwdriver or drill to remove existing hardware before installing D-shaped pulls that are both stylish and comfortable for aging hands.
- Comfort: Standing at the stove for long periods may leave your mom with achy knees. Improve her cooking comfort by purchasing a stylish anti-fatigue mat to place at cooking and prep areas.
A Spa-Quality Bathroom
Who doesn’t adore a luxurious soak in the tub? Give Mom’s bathroom a spa-quality feel with these upgrades:
- Tub or Shower: The standard shower-tub combo does a sub-par job for showers and baths alike. Recruit a strong helper and replace the existing fixture with a soaking tub or a spacious shower stall. Improvement Center walks you through building a shower stall, while Home Depot offers instructions for removing and replacing a bathtub.
- Vanity: Upgrade a too-tiny pedestal sink with a custom-built vanity. Rustic wood paired with a modern white sink gives the bathroom a spa-like feel, and no plumber is necessary if you keep the same location.
- Safety: As your parents age, bathroom falls become a serious concern. Replace the bathroom floor with slip-resistant tile or vinyl to prevent your mom from falling on a slick floor.
- Tub or Shower: Give the existing shower a more luxurious feel by installing an oversized shower head. If your mom’s more the bath type, build her a sleek bath caddy so she can enjoy a good book and a glass of wine while she soaks.
- Vanity: Replacing the vanity isn’t the only way to give it an upgrade. Replace a worn-out faucet with a fresh fixture and add new, stylish knobs onto existing cabinets. Wall-mounted shelves keep countertops clear and provide convenient storage for luxury bath supplies.
- Safety: To add safety without the institutional feel, install grab bars that double as towel racks and toilet paper holders to add safety without compromising style.
There are endless options for DIY home improvements. However, if your goal is to make a big impact on your mother’s home, the kitchen and bath are ideal places to start. Before you dive into these DIY home improvement projects, spend time practicing so you’re guaranteed to get it right and make your mom proud.
Remember: If you are looking for a professional to help you with your project, and you live in the Rochester or Finger Lakes Region of New York, you’ll find those professionals at www.FindTheHomePros.com
Image via Unsplash